Being a parent is tough isn’t it? Wow. Let’s just take a moment and contemplate that.
Among all of my children’s basic needs food, clothing and shelter.. I like most other mothers (I hope) endeavor to teach my children many wonderful things, ideals that will leave a lasting impression on their hearts. One I hope I live long enough to see. An impression on them that I may one day have the knowledge that I did a good job raising them.
Every day I can think of hundreds of things I want them to know and hundreds of things I hope I am being a good example of but I wanted to make a list of at least 20 things to teach my daughters… maybe if I feel like I have gotten through these I can start a new list at some point. And like last week, when I was reflecting on myself here, I realized that they probably teach me more than I them at times. A lot of the items on this list are things that have come to me through watching them…
- to know and love God, because this relationship is ultimately the most important.
- how to cook, because it is an art and I don’t want them to starve in college.
- that a man cannot provide happiness, because when you think that happiness is found in a man alone, you can compromise your sense of self.
- how to be a mother, because I hope they will get to experience the joy they have brought me and I hope I can be a good example for them.
- to cultivate their interests and talents, because it is important to always maintain a sense of self and passion in one’s life.
- to laugh, to not lose their childish charm, because my husband is really good at this and sometimes it is all you need to appreciate your day.
- to not be too serious, because I have a HUGE problem with this and I don’t want my girls to take everything too seriously.
- that we will always accept them, no matter what they will always have a home and parents to come back to, unconditionally.
- to love and trust each other, because a sister can be the most cherished woman in your life.
- to cherish good friendships, because they are hard to come by.
- right from wrong, because I want them to have the wisdom to make their own decisions and the knowledge that they will make the right ones.
- about art, because I love art and creativity and I want my daughters to be exposed to it.
- to be strong and not compromise themselves, because there will come a time in their lives that they will be tempted to compromise themselves and I want them to know how to react and have the ability to stand for their beliefs.
- to have fun, but not be excessive, because the world can be a dangerous place and I want them to be safe.
- that family is forever
- to let go, of things in their life that they outgrow or situations which are out of their control.
- to love nature, to experience the beautiful world we live in.
- about money, because it takes a lot of good sense to manage.
- that they are special, because there is no one like them.
- that sometimes adults are wrong, because it’s true.
What do you endeavor to teach your children? What would you want your legacy to be?