Last year, I realized I wanted to display the ABC’s in my daughter’s room in a unique way but I didn’t find anything online or in stores that matched my vision, so I started out making this piece. I first, simply painted the ABC’s in a phonetic sing-song pattern on canvas but then after that I was stuck. Until now!! So today, I’d like to show you a tutorial on how I made this ABC art for my girls’ nursery room.
This project was really fun for me but I’ll admit, it took some time, mainly the time was involved in making the felt flowers. If you would like to skip this step I have just decided to add my felt flowers to my etsy shop! I love making them and wouldn’t mind making them for you too!
So for my tutorial… I have made a visual tutorial (above) but here is what you need to know:
1&2. Gather supplies and make or purchase felt flowers.
- Blank Canvas your choice size, I used 20×30
- Assorted acrylic paints
- Paint brush
- Assorted felt flowers, make your own or purchase mine here
- Hot glue/glue gun
- Mod podge
- Assorted scrapbook pages
- Sponge brush
3. Simply paint the ABC’s in your choice color and pattern on your canvas
4. Practice arranging all of the pieces… scrapbook strips, flowers, leaves etc. This takes a lot of time because you want to make sure that you have all the pieces you need and that you can artistically arrange them into a composition. (I recommend taking a photo after you get them the way you want so that you can refer back to it while assembling the pieces later)
5. Remove all pieces but leave scrapbook paper in position. Mod podge entire canvas so that the scrapbook paper is then affixed to the canvas and so that the entire canvas has a cohesive finished glaze. (I used a sponge brush for this step and worked with liberal amounts of mod podge in order to make sure the scrapbook paper would stay in place). Check for evenness in natural light
6. Lastly, after mod podge layer is dry, hot glue felt flowers in place. Make sure you use enough hot glue to hold the flower in place. And Viola!! You’re done… beautiful garden inspired ABC art.
If you are attempting this project and need help feel free to contact me 🙂 Hope my readers are having a happy Saturday!
- felt flower tutorials
- my obsession with felt flowers
- cute clippies
- DIY yellow felt flower clip
- DIY beaded initial wreath
- dresses for my daughters
- pillowcase dresses for toddlers
- DIY tin sign collage