Rice, Cheddar & Spinach Pie
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups cooked instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 cup diced extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Generously coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and spinach; cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Transfer to a large bowl. Add rice, cheese, pepper and salt to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Stir into the spinach-rice mixture. Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake the pie until lightly browned in spots, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Taco night with a side of beans, chips and guacamole
- 4-6 tortillas
- 1 pkg turkey or beef meat
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1/2c sour cream
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 1-2 avocados
- guacamole mix, optional
- 1c cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tomato
- 1 pkg shredded lettuce
- 2 green onions
- 1/2c cilantro
- Prepare meat following directions on taco seasoning packet
- Prepare guacamole with two avocados following directions on guacamole mix package
- Prepare beans as directed
- Chop tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and create small bowls for each
- Add small bowls of cheese, lettuce and sour cream to taco fixing selection
- Brown tortillas and wrap in a towel or foil to keep warm
- Serve beans, chips and guacamole buffet style with tacos
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 6 Whole Grain Tortillas (10-inch)
- 1 can Red beans or kidney beans
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups Precooked diced chicken breast
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a large sauté pan heat chicken and beans with BBQ sauce.
- When rice is cooked, add to chicken and bean mixture. Mix well and add more barbeque sauce if desired.
- Assemble quesadillas by adding Cheddar cheese to the bottom of three tortillas.
- Divide mixture among 3 tortillas. Spread out evenly and top each with additional cheddar cheese.
- Top each quesadilla with remaining three tortillas. Set aside.
- Heat quesadillas one at a time in a large sauté p pan on the stove.
- Brown the tortillas on both sides being careful when flipping.
- Cook until tortillas are browned on both sides and cheese has melted.
- Serve half quesadilla per person.
Four Cheese Baked Penne
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- 1 1/2 cups small-curd low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (3/4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine the cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella and parsley in a bowl and stir with a fork to incorporate and set aside. Cook pasta until tender but still firm, a minute or 2 less than the package directs. Drain.
- Heat the oil in the same pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, rosemary, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Return pasta to pot with sauce and turn off heat. Add cottage cheese mixture.
- Spray a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray then transfer pasta mixture to pan. Top with remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella and the parmesan. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, 30 minutes.
Salmon Cakes and Mashed Potatoes
- 6 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 (15-ounce) cans boneless salmon, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 scallions (green onions)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped canned water chestnuts
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Potatoes for mashing
- Remove crusts from the bread, break into pieces, and process in a food processor until you get a fine bread crumb. In a large bowl, flake apart the salmon with a fork. Add the egg and mix well. Finely chop 4 of the scallions and add to the bowl. Add the water chestnuts, cilantro, pepper, and the bread crumbs and mix well. Shape the mixture into 12 patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil over a medium heat. Add 6 patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the cooked patties to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil to the pan, and cook the rest of the salmon cakes, 5 minutes on each side.
- Chop the remaining 1 scallion. Garnish with scallion.
- I usually serve with ranch dressing
Here is my printable grocery list in PDF format also! Enjoy!