There are several different types of eggplant parmesan but I have developed my own simple recipe that is easy to put together for a family dinner during the week or a get together on the weekend. I think you’ll love this easy version of this winter/fall recipe that really warms up your home.
- one eggplant
- 1c flour
- three eggs beaten
- 1c pre-made or homemade bread crumbs
- 2tblsp vegetable oil
- 1/2c parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce, I usually use a traditional or garlic and onion flavor
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice eggplant short way into disks about 1/4″ thick
- Arrange three shallow dishes with flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs…one bowl with each; not combined
- Heat oil in skillet
- Dip eggplant first in flour, then submerge in egg and then coat with bread crumbs on both sides
- Brown each eggplant disk and set aside on a plate, you may need to replace oil if it gets too messy
- After all eggplant slices are browned, grab a 13×9 casserole dish and pour 1/3 jar of pasta sauce into the bottom of it.
- Create a single layer of eggplant on top of the layer of sauce. Add another layer of sauce to the top of eggplant.
- Add a layer of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle a little parmesan atop the mozzarella.
- Create another eggplant/sauce/mozzarella/parmesan layer and a third if you still have eggplant disks.
- On the very top, add remaining parmesan
- Bake covered for thirty minutes or until bubbling, cool for 10 minutes before serving
***Serve with side garden salad and my Chocolate cake for a complete fall meal.
Hope you can enjoy this autumn dish it’s one of my favorites!